Some pages of Of Death And A Banana Skin feature Augmented Reality. AR is new technology which brings a page to life with a tablet or smartphone. The camera in the device locks on to an image to trigger video, animations, readings or music. Here are three demo videos of AR in action.
Scroll down for a video and written instructions on how to set up your device for AR.
How to set up your iOS or Android device for AR.
1. Download the free app HP Reveal for iOS or Android. Follow the instructions to sign up.
2. IMPORTANT – you must ‘follow’ my account to access the AR.
In the app’s search bar, type simonmayor (all one string); tap on SimonMayor’s Public Auras which should be at the top of the list (with the same thumbnail picture as the book cover) and then tap the ‘Follow’ button. “Follow’ now changes to ‘Following’.
3. Tap ‘Back’ (top left) and ‘Cancel’ (top right). You’ll now see displayed all the images from the book that are ready to work as triggers for the Augmented Reality.
4. ALmost ready. Check three things: (a) you’re connected to the internet, (b) in HP Reveal Settings that the app has permission to use the device’s camera, (c) be in good light if possible.
5. Return to HP Reveal front page and tap the blue circle at the foot of the screen. The app will search for a ‘trigger’. Checking the list on this page, hold the camera over a specified area until it locks on.
Once triggered, you can move the device away from the book and the content will continue playing.
Tap the screen to stop playback at any time.
6. Bookmark this page and check back occasionally as we add more AR content.
If it’s not working, please check:
(a) that you have followed my account (step 2 above). This is a requirement of HP Reveal, not me.
(b) that the page is in good light without shadows – preferably daylight.
Register for the Acoustics Records Newsletter if you’d like to be kept informed of updates.
14 – The Stick. Reading with music (The Middlesmoor Waltz). Scan the cover photograph of Simon holding a mandolin.
16 – Of Death And A Banana Skin On Ilkley Moor. Live Reading. Scan rocks at top of page.
18 – Fantasia On The Yorkshire Anthem. Animated playback of illustrations with music. Scan the banana skin.
24 – Low Mill. Reading. Scan strip of illustration on right.
29 – Queen Victoria Street. Animated playback of illustration with music (Ayre by Henry Purcell). Scan page.
30 – The Oracle. Reading. Scan strip of illustration on right.
31 – The Oracle. Animated playback of illustration with music (The Dargason). Scan image.
39 – Sumer Is Icumen In. Song (Sumer Is Icumen In) with images. Scan upper half of illustration.
42 – Black Swans. Reading with illustration. Scan the swan.
44 – Red Kite. Reading with animated playback of illustration. Scan the wing of the kite.
52 – Great Expectations. Live recording of Simon and Hilary playing Handel’s Arrival Of The Queen Of Sheba. Scan title text.
60 – Pigeon Pi. Live reading with animated playback of illustration. Scan pigeon at foot of page.
62 – Rogue And Rose. Song (Rosebud In June) with animated playback of illustration. Scan the head of the rose.
70 – Across The Pond. The story of ‘The Man On The Plane’ to a live audience. Scan the man with the gun.
80 – Fireflies. Song (Fireflies) with animated playback of illustration. Scan all the text on the left.
90 – Further Adventures Of The Stick. Reading with music (The Middlesmoor Waltz). Scan the half of the image on page 90.